Making A Personal Choice
When it comes to choosing a doctor for consultation, we can become very picky- unless the situation is an emergency. It is ingrained in us to find the right doctor through several ways and means. Most of us won't just walk into any hospital seeking consultancy, especially when the ailment requires a specialist.
When preliminary diagnosis reveals that the person requires the expertise of a neurosurgeon, the choice has to be made very carefully. Just the fact that you need to see a neurosurgeon will be unnerving. And that’s because the ailment will have something to do with the spine or brain- two ultra-delicate parts of the body.
This article deals with some factors and tips that will help you find the right neurosurgeon in your town, city or country.
4 Facts About Your Neurosurgeon That You Should Know
- The Credentials
When you are checking your neurosurgeon’s credentials, here’s what you should be looking for:
- Academic certifications that will give you an insight of his/ her training, skills and experience.
- Ruling out any malpractice or disciplinary actions.
- Any negative claim settlements or arbitrations that reflect the surgeon’s professional incompetence.
- Ask for second opinions or referrals
When the primary care doctor refers to a particular surgeon’s name, there are several sources that you can use to cross reference the information about the surgeon. Ask friends and family members if they can vouch for the recommended surgeon. Use social media to access a bigger source of information. If you have doctors in the family, they will make your job easier.
- Experience is everything
When you are given surgery as the only choice to treat your spinal, nervous or head ailment, you need the help of an expert. A neurosurgeon’s skills to treat a particular condition or handle a particularly complicated procedure is a deciding factor of your recovery.
- Make enquiries with the previous patients of the surgeon.
- Get to know the success rate of the surgeries the doctor has performed.
- Find out about the complication rates of the particular procedure.
- Find out if you are vulnerable for surgically complicated risks.
- Make sure your neurosurgeon is approachable and easy to communicate with. It is very important that he/she makes you feel comfortable and answers your queries patiently.
- Hospital convenience
The doctor’s hospital is your hospital. If you are not familiar with it, it is best that you do a bit of research about it, because it is where you will have to stay post surgery. Your treatment and recovery depends on how good the hospital is. Assess the location, the care provided, the facilities, the hygienic conditions, access to clean food and water, and most importantly the fee structure.Patient reviews are precious
The following facts and questions will help you assess if the recommended neurosurgeon is the best choice or not:
- Patient reviews that give an insight about the doctor’s medical practice and methodologies.
- Patient satisfaction based on their experience.
- Know if patients will choose the same doctor for further consultations and if they will recommend the surgeon for their own family members, if necessary.
- Are the office staff friendly and helpful?
- How much effort does the doctor take to explain the process of treatment to the patient?
While you are in the process of choosing the best neuro specialist in Chennai, do not forget to analyze your insurance benefits and coverage. To make it easy on your pocket, you should also know if the hospital and your neurosurgeon fit into the plan.